What is an Enrolment and Commonwealth Support Paused (JRG) notice?

What you need to know before the census date

With the Census Date just around the corner, now is the time to consider how you will manage your study load this trimester.

The Census Date is when:

  • Your enrolment in each unit is finalised,
  • It is the last date your can withdraw from any unit without incurring a financial penalty,
  • And it is the last day you can apply for Commonwealth Support such as a HECS-HELP Loan. 

With this in mind, the Federal Government’s Job-ready Graduates Package (JRG) which was released in 2022, introduced new completion rate requirements and fees payable for students receiving Government Assistance. For any student who has enrolled in a new course from 2022 onwards, this will impact your course progression if you choose to withdraw from a unit after the census date.

If you’re a student who enrolled in your course before 2022, JRG does not apply to you, however, you can receive a Progression Alert if you have not met UNE’s Progression Requirements, and so withdrawing from a unit before the census date is an important consideration to take into account.

This might sound a little overwhelming to wrap your head around, so to get you up to speed we have put together a few answers below with what you need to know regarding the JRG package and how you can avoid receiving an academic & financial penalty.

What is an Enrolment and Commonwealth Support Paused (JRG) Notice?

Enrolment and Commonwealth Support Paused Notices (JRG Notices) are a function of the new government rules for university students that were released in 2022 and apply to all students who enrolled from 2022 onwards. These rules are part of the Job Ready Graduates (JRG) package.

JRG introduced the requirement for university students commencing their studies from 2022 onwards to maintain a pass rate of 50% throughout their degree.  This requirement is triggered after the student has attempted eight or more units of study in a bachelor level or higher course OR four or more units in a higher education course lower than a bachelor course.  An “attempted unit” is any unit the student remains enrolled in at the census date.

How will this impact me?

If a student withdraws from a unit after the census date, even without academic penalty, that unit will still be included in the units measured as part of their progression.

Falling below the 50% completion rate and receiving an Enrolment and Commonwealth Support Paused Notice means that your study in the affected degree has been paused, and your enrolment in future teaching periods has been removed. Students who fall below this completion rate become ineligible for HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP for the affected degree.

What can I do if I have received an Enrolment and Commonwealth Support Paused notice?   

The first thing you should do is forward the email you received to Advocacy & Welfare so we can start working with you on the next steps.

The options for students whose enrolment has been paused are:

  • To continue in your current degree at the Full Fee rate, paying for each Trimester’s units before the Census Date, until the pass rate is raised to at least 50%.
  • Request a transfer to another degree, so Commonwealth Support can be applied in a new program.
  • If circumstances beyond your control impact your study, it may be possible to seek Remission of Fees. Successfully remitted units will not be part of your unit completion calculation, and if this brings you back to 50% or higher, your Commonwealth Support can be reinstated.

How can I avoid receiving this notice?

One of the best ways to avoid receiving an Enrolment and Commonwealth Support Paused Notice is to be mindful of the units you enrol in and to plan ahead as much as possible. If you think you will reach a point in your study where personal life or circumstances are going to impede your ability to complete a unit, we recommend withdrawing from the unit prior to the Census date or considering taking on a lighter study load to begin with.

Students should also make full use of things like Special Extensions of Time, Special Exams, Assessment Appeals, and Special Consideration to avoid failing units or having to withdraw after Census date, which our team can also assist you in applying for special examinations.

Advocacy & Welfare is here to support UNE students through their student journey. You are never alone at UNE, so make sure you reach out to us for guidance and support.

The team at Advocacy and Welfare offers confidential support to students! Contact them here.
Student Success also has confidential counseling for students, you can find them here.
Lifeline is also a 24/7 hotline and you can call them on 13 11 14.