Rum or “whatever” balls
Blog and recipe from the lovely Emmaline Gallagher, UNE Life, Functions & Catering
Fancy creating something super simple but impressive? This little recipe that will make you look like a rockstar when you turn up at that unexpected holiday event. #BringFoodMakeFriends
You know you want to! – Em.
- 395g tin sweetened condensed milk
- 250g packet milk arrowroot plain biscuits
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1-ish cups desiccated coconut, plus extra for dusting
- Rum or whatever, about 3tbsp
- Process bickies until chunkiest bits are about pea-sized. Transfer to a bowl, mix in cocoa powder, sweetened condensed milk and rum or whatever. Start adding coconut until the mix is pretty firm, a cup or so depending on how boozy you made it. Mix should look like thick chunky mud.
- Refrigerate in the bowl for about an hour.
- TIP: line baking trays and bung them in the freezer right now. This helps achieve rum balls rather than rum flats…
- Working quickly, roll tablespoonsful of the mix into bite sized balls, and roll in extra coconut to coat. Place onto your now frozen baking trays and refrigerate as soon as possible.
- Try to keep the mix cold, this will keep your balls firm. Room temperature heat will cause the mix to relax and the balls will become flattish on the bottom.
- Wrap a few in coloured cellophane for a simple, cost-effective, from-the-heart gift idea.
We want to see what your fudge looks like, tag us @lifefunctionscatering and we will share them in our stories!
PS: If you’re in Armidale, don’t forget to drop into The Shop, we’ve just launched a little range of delectable pickles, relishes, and jams!